Wednesday, April 11, 2007

New Favourite Resto?

Ah... how could I forget to mention this? So it seems I may have a new favourite restaurant as of a couple of weeks. The Code Gal and I went off to La Palette and had what I can only describe as a spectacular experience. Beyond the fact that the food was sensational (more in a second) the service and atmosphere were also top notch.

I opened the meal with walnut-crusted camembert with cranberry coulis and pear slaw. The combination of warm and cold, crunchy and soft, savoury and sweet were remarkable. The dish was so well conceived I found myself reflecting about each bite.

Next up was a plate of wild game. Although there were many to choose from I went with lamb, wild boar, bison, and horse. Once again, the focus on simplicity was the key to this dish. The meat was grilled to a perfect rare and bedded on mashed garlic potatoes with a veal stock and wine reduction. Nothing over the top but all perfectly done.

What really made this place however was how it just felt like you had found a local jewel when you sat down. A place that isn't on every tourist's list of restaurants. Maybe even a little foodie haven... :)

No comments: