Friday, February 19, 2010

Braised Beef Ribs with Wine à la awesome

I think I just outdid myself.  Tonight’s meal was a reward for a difficult week.  The butcher twisted my rubber arm into buying some gorgeous beef ribs.  They were cut Flaken-style and were the size of my head so it was pretty hard to resist.

After browning the ribs I sweated off some traditional aromatics (celery, carrots, onion and garlic).  The braising liquid was composed of some beef stock, red wine and a can of diced tomatoes.  I added some paprika, thyme, oregano and bay leaves as well.

After a couple of hours the meat was falling apart so out it came.  I strained out the solids and thickened up the liquid with a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Absolutely incredible.  Unfortunately, in my food lust I neglected to take a picture.  I’m not going to lie, I’ll be thinking about this meal for a long time.

To top it all off, I decided to open up arguably the best bottle of wine I’ve had in years – Dry Creek Vineyards 2000 cabernet sauvignon.  Apparently holding on to a wine for 10 years leads to awesomeness.

Anyhow, another great meal in the bag.  I really do love seasonal cooking.

No comments: