Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Windows 7 on a Dell Mini 9

So I jumped ship off Jaunty yesterday morning with build 7600 (RTM!) of Windows 7.  The install was smooth using a bootable USB drive and isn’t really worth describing in detail here.

In general, nearly everything seems to have worked right off the bat.  Video, sound, network – everything is up and stable.  Immediately I was surprised at how clear the fonts and general rendering are in Win7 (far more clear and precise than in Ubuntu).

A few issues have presented themselves:

  • The Synaptics touchpad wasn’t recognized but installing the Vista drivers seemed to do the trick.
  • 3 devices are listed as unrecognized in the Device Manager (two “Base System Devices” and one “Unknown device”). Good to see that the help on getting devices working has improved since Win95… :(  This doesn’t seem to have any meaningful impact but I’ll update if/when I figure out what they are.
  • I’ve been reading a lot about how fast Win7’s boot times would be but that hasn’t played out.  Where Ubuntu was loading in sub-30 seconds Win7 is at least double that. Interestingly, it does appear that the boot up process is freezing just before showing the login screen but there is nothing in the event log to explain this.
  • While Sleep mode generally works, in one case this morning it caused the computer to reboot.  The event viewer – as informative as always – says there was an “unexpected system shutdown”.  Thanks.

What I’ll miss from Ubuntu:

  • Gnome Do: a simple, clean application that just helps you do things and gets out of the way.
  • Tomboy: absolutely fantastic for taking notes in meetings (which is the primary use of my netbook). I’m switching to OneNote for now but I miss it already.
  • Ubuntu Netbook Remix: it really was a nice metaphor for dealing with a cramped space and small screen.  Maximus in particular.  Win7 can be customised to use as much of the screen as possible so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • Snappiness.  This isn’t exactly a fair comparison since I’m running Win7 with all of the Aero on.  Of course, if I wasn’t running the Aero chrome I’d be using WinXP so maybe it is fair.  Either way, Ubuntu seemed to just zip along a little more smoothly than Win7 which tends to freeze and hiccup.
  • Nerd factor: there’s something that just gets me juiced about Linux.  Win7 is pretty new and running it pre-RTM release date tweaks my inner geek enough to make this worthwhile.

On the other hand, being back in the warm embrace of Windows does carry some benefit.  A simple example is being able to run Firefox 3.5.  It’s been weeks since it was released and it still isn’t available through the core repositories for Ubuntu.  Yes, I know I could hack it in but why the hell should I have to?

Windows Media Player is another thing I’m happy about. I’m not a big fan of it one way or the other but frankly, it just works.  I can play music off my file server.  I don’t have to open configuration files in VI.  Thanks but that’s good enough for me.

Finally, I certainly won’t miss the constant stream of update patches that had unintended consequences without any supporting documentation (support for 802.1X, I’m looking at you).  You can fault Microsoft for many things but their patch release management and documentation is absolutely top notch.

Anyhow, so here we are back in Windows.  I still need to find some webcam software but otherwise I should now be into stable daily use.  I’ll write some further thoughts as I get the chance to test this over the long term going forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Update: I got the "unknown devices" working. They were the Battery Meter and the JMicron Card Reader.

Thanks to this website for getting me on track.